Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sportswear Challenge

I recently came across a blog that challenges readers to make different types of clothing for children.  Which I currently seem to have great interest in.  So I was thrilled to be able to participate and allow creative juices to flow!  Their most recent challenge was to make sportswear and the only help they gave was a wikipedia definition of what sportswear is.  Which wasn't all that clear to me so I did some more research and found out that a woman named Coco Channel was an influential fashion designer that was one of the first or the first to create sportswear.  I tried looking for photos of some of the original fashion designs which originated to the 20's and 30's.  
Sportswear is clothing that was designed to be more comfortable and looser fitting but still a polished enough look that a woman could wear the clothing to work and then to watch a sporting event.  At least that is my understanding of what sportswear was originally.   
I really liked the pants that I was seeing in the older photos.  They were wide legged and some had cuffs at the bottom.  I liked the cuffs.   Hence I made pants with cuffs.  The top was much more complicated the 20's tops seemed to have a dropped waist line but some of the 30's fashion photos had the pants sitting higher above the waistline.  So I decided that I liked the dropped waistline.  

The two older photos to follow are just a couple I found on my search to find out what sportswear was.  
The photos can be found at here: Sportswear Photo Link.



















Drum roll please..... 
Here are two pictures of my girls modeling my finished outfit for Project Run and Play's Sportswear challenge.  



























If you are interested in participating in any of their upcoming challenges check out their blog at http://projectrunandplay.blogspot.com/

Some info on how I made the outfit:  The pants were made after tweaking a pattern that I already had.  The top was a different story.  I decided to go with a dropped waistline look and thought that a tie off to the side would look nice.  The top was pieced together quickly (Wednesday night to be exact)!    
What I would have liked to do differently:  If I knew how to put pockets in the pants I would have done that.  The pattern did not have pockets :( and I wish that I had taken the time to actually make a pattern for the top.
So what do you think?  
~Laura



2 comments:

  1. Laura, your outfit is adorable and looks so cozy. I love that you stayed true to the roots of true sportswear. It is funny you should mention pockets. My outfit was all about pockets--four different kinds in one outfit, and I had never made pockets before. I really don't know what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I see that you sewed the yellow cargo pants and the hooded jacket. I really like the hooded jacket. It does look like a lot of pockets! Have you ever participated in Project Run and Play before? This is my first season participating. It was fun! Are you going to participate in this upcoming weeks "green" challenge?

    ReplyDelete